Twin Cities & Western Railroad Company (TC&W) commenced operations on July 27, 1991 over what was formerly known as the “Ortonville Line” operated by the Soo Line Railroad Company (now Canadian Pacific Railway) between Minneapolis/St. Paul and Milbank, SD.
Prior to TC&W and Soo Line operation of this line, it was part of the Milwaukee Road’s Main line to the Pacific Northwest. This main line was originally built in the 1870’s by the Hastings & Dakota Railway.
TC&W – Largest Short Line in Minnesota
Twin Cities & Western Railroad Company is a regional railroad operating over 229 miles of track, serving some of the most productive agricultural counties in Minnesota. TC&W interchanges with all four Class 1 railroads in the Minneapolis/St. Paul terminal area: BNSF Railway (BNSF), Canadian Pacific Railway (CP), Canadian National Railway (CN) and Union Pacific Railroad Company (UP). TC&W provides a gateway to world markets for the surrounding areas. Operating as far east as St. Paul, Minnesota and as far west as Milbank, South Dakota, TC&W is the largest short line in Minnesota.
TC&W, Minnesota Prairie Line and Sisseton Milbank Railroad Company
Minnesota Prairie Line (MPL) began serving its customers in October of 2002, restoring rail service to a line that had sat dormant for two years after a prior operator ceased operations. MPL is a wholly-owned subsidiary of TC&W. In July of 2012, TC&W acquired Sisseton Milbank Railroad Company (SMRR), also a wholly-owned subsidiary of TC&W. Over the years TC&W has re-invested millions back into its infrastructure and equipment in order to provide safe and efficient operations for its customers. TC&W is a sister company of Red River Valley & Western Railroad Company, based in Wahpeton, ND.